My Photo
Name:
Location: Telford, Pennsylvania, United States

My main blog: Ramblings generally focuses on telling a story via photography and words. These stories generally center around family, nature, and church although sometimes just about life in general. I also have a blog entitled Fingerprints. I post less frequently in Fingerprints. It serves as a catch all of anything that does not go in my Ramblings blog including memes, quizzes, and reports on books and movies.



The road awaits
Time doesn't
The road beckons
Time steps forward

Will we move
In step with time?
Will we step forward
Shaping our time?

Will we take time
To see the present?
Will we explore the past
And understand our heritage?

Will we laugh?
Will we wonder?
Will we touch?
Will we feel?

Time flies on
We have choices
Shall we go fast?
Shall we go slow?

We shall go forward
But we will choose the pace
We may dance with all our heart
Or bathe ourselves in a setting sun

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Memories of Childhood Reading and Radio Dramas

A question was raised on the MennoLink discussion board about what we read as children. The following is the response I gave:

Among the books I enjoyed reading as a child were the Danny Orlis series, the Felicia Cartwright series, the Sugar Creek Gang series, a book entitled Treasures of the Snow, and of course the Narnia series. I know I read many more. I was always reading to the point that mom had to chase me out the house fairly often. And for children's magazines, I enjoyed reading Jack and Jill and also Highlights. As we grew a bit older, the stories in Reader's Digest became a favorite. I loved adventure stories and also Greek, Roman, Norse, and other mythologies. I also remember enjoying reading Baga Yaga witch stories. The Baga Yaga stories that I recall had a witch's house that stood on chicken legs.

As for radio dramas, I enjoyed Sailer Sam, Ranger Bill, and other children's radio series from Back to the Bible, Children's Bible Hour, and more. I also remember a children's program that every Saturday morning would play march music and we would follow our father marching around the dining room table in our house. Oh, there was also a radio program called Big John and Sparky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home