My Photo
Name:
Location: Telford, Pennsylvania, United States

My main blog: Ramblings generally focuses on telling a story via photography and words. These stories generally center around family, nature, and church although sometimes just about life in general. I also have a blog entitled Fingerprints. I post less frequently in Fingerprints. It serves as a catch all of anything that does not go in my Ramblings blog including memes, quizzes, and reports on books and movies.



The road awaits
Time doesn't
The road beckons
Time steps forward

Will we move
In step with time?
Will we step forward
Shaping our time?

Will we take time
To see the present?
Will we explore the past
And understand our heritage?

Will we laugh?
Will we wonder?
Will we touch?
Will we feel?

Time flies on
We have choices
Shall we go fast?
Shall we go slow?

We shall go forward
But we will choose the pace
We may dance with all our heart
Or bathe ourselves in a setting sun

Friday, November 18, 2005

Islands by Dan Sleigh

Over the past couple weeks, I have been reading the historical novel Islands by Dan Sleigh. It is a rerecreation of what life might have been like at the Cape of Africa during Dutch rule and colonization. It was a bit dull at the beginning but as I got further into the book it began to catch me. Unfortunately, I had to return the book to the library this morning unfinished having only read about 400 of the 750 pages. I just may have to borrow the book again at a later date. One theme in this book that I find significant is how often its main characters are low on a socio-economic scale and are often told by their superiors that they have a future; but in reality are permamently trapped in their socio-economic status.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee reminds you that you CAN renew a book at the library if you're not finished with it in three weeks!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

To anonymous and Renee: That's true for most books. But this was a new book from the new books section. At my library, they technically aren't suppose to renew new books; though one librarian took pity on me one time.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home